Sunday, November 20, 2016

The Inherent Racism of Election Years 2000-2015

This is part of my #1YearOfViz series! Check out the archive here: http://bourbonandbrains.blogspot.com/p/one-year-of-dataviz.html

Better late than never right!? That's my thoughts on this week's post! I had a lot of life-related things happening recently and I haven't had the time to focus on data collection, ETL, etc as I'd hoped. Part of that was some personal things in my life and then I decided in the middle of the week to come to my hometown of Charleston, WV to spend some time with my dad post hip-replacement surgery.
Telling my dad not to do anything is IMPOSSIBLE.

I have something on-deck for next week that should be pretty big if I can find the time to get it done so that'll hopefully make up for the lack-luster few weeks of Viz!

So while looking around on my laptop I realized that I had WAY fewer datasets on here than I anticipated. I've been poking around a little more on Data.World lately and I saw a crosspost between there and /r/datasets about FBI statistics on hate crimes from 2000-2015 and thought with the given political climate this might make for a good viz. Sadly the 2016 data isn't in yet... it's probably gonna be a mess.

If you'd like to read up on what constitutes a "Hate Crime" according to the FBI they have a really great site located here.

You can see I just did the one Tableau Story for this viz as I think it's pretty logical to "step" through and isn't terribly interactive (sorry!). Check it out below:



I can't really think of too many things in the country that occur pretty cyclically every 4 years that could contribute to these pretty significant increases in trends. Of course the largest hate-crime related trend since it has been tracked starting in 2000 is the change in Anti-Islamic hate crimes that happened after 2001 (likely a result of 9/11/2001).

As always hit me up on twitter @wjking0 or via the comments below to talk about dataviz!

No comments:

Post a Comment