Friday, November 4, 2016

$25,000 Dollar Prop, Mascots with Guns, and other fun things in a Halloween Express Scrape!

This is part of my #1YearOfViz series! Check out the archive here: http://bourbonandbrains.blogspot.com/p/one-year-of-dataviz.html

I'll provide visualizations however some of my initial findings are as follows: 
  • Some assumptions you would make are accurate, such as plus size costumes tend to be more expensive I considerable amount (28.60% more expensive on average).
  • Interestingly enough plus size costumes tend to be cheaper when they are classified as "sexy" (18.18% cheaper!).
  • There are also just about equal percentages of sexy plus-sized costumes as sexy non-plus size costumes (12.12% Plus vs 16.07% Non-Plus).

Thanks to my friend Barbie I thought it would be a good idea to look at Children vs Adult costumes to see which had more. I would assume more children costume exist than adults costumes, as it turns out there are considerably more adult costumes than children's costumes! The assumption could be that people tend to make children's costumes or children's costumes simply require make-up and accessories (which does make up more than 30% of the total items in the Halloween express store).

Also the assumption that women costume cost more than men's costumes is incorrect men's costumes cost more by approximately 20% and there are approximately 20% fewer men's costumes as women's costumes. This may be a result on pricing vs demand. Just guessing that possibly women's costumes are sold more frequently so can ultimately be priced lower.

I would say I'm sorry for all the Mean Girls gifs... but nah.

Since gender of costume isn't specifically stated in every case I did a little formula, I just wanted to give you a quick note on how I defined gender in this data. If any of the categories or the item title or item subtitle contain the word "women" or "girl" then I defined it as 'Female' and "boy" or "men" then I classified it as a 'Male' costume.

Anyway here's the data that I just mentioned! It's not really meant to be "played with" but don't worry the next viz below this factual story viz will be more interactive!



Now as promised I wanted to put some individual links to things in here that I just found horrifying:
  • Basically the ENTIRE "Mascots" Category but most specifically this gem. He's a "Patriot" mascot... with a shotgun. Not sure what Mascot carries heat.... but ya never know.
  • The $25,000 PROP.... which really just scratches the surface of expensive things for sale at Halloween Express. You can play around below with the full dataset and set it to $1,000+ on the filter and you can see HOW many crazy items there are in there!


I've been a little distracted lately so I promise a better and more deep dive into some data next week! As always hit me up on Twitter @wjking0 or in the comments below if you have questions/comments/concerns!
I'm OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment