Tuesday, September 23, 2014

WRFL 88.1 FM Lexington, KY MP3 File Breakdown

WARNING! Ultra-WIDE #DataViz Ahead!!!


While I'm not making #DataViz out of #WeirdData I work as a Sys Admin for the University of Kentucky. One of the most neat and data-rich departments I get to support is our student-run radio station WRFL 88.1 FM. There are over 300,000 MP3 files stored on their server from their over 30,000 CDs and well over 30,000 vinyl records. At this point a good chunk of the CDs have been ripped and provides us with a rich dataset. It allows us to ask all sorts of neat questions of a unique set of data:


  • Want to know the average length of a Rock song? 3 minutes, 23 seconds
  • How many songs on the server have the word "Kentucky" in the title? 57
  • How many songs does Johnny Cash have on the server? 916

All that being said, I know that this data (because radio station employees can upload their own data to it) is not the most "clean" set of data. Do I believe there was a song from 1675 on the server? Probably not. Eventually also I'll clean up the "Genre" category a lot more over time. I expect I'll be updating this particular dataset somewhere in the 4-6 month range.

ALSO! I was going to throw in a logo and decided instead to throw a live-stream player built into the DataViz which refreshes when the track playing changes allowing people to search out that particular artist/album to see what else is there.


Let me know what you think and suggestions for how to improve the viz at @wjking0.


No comments:

Post a Comment