Monday, December 15, 2014

ThinkGeek Catalog Details Data Analysis (What's on SALE!?)

It's time once again for some holiday shopping! I'm assuming if you're reading this blog you're probably of the nerdy variety so you'll probably appreciate the same kinds of things that I do in a consumer sense.

Import.io LogoSo I got thinking about where fun places to buy things are. I've recently fallen desperately in LOOOOOVE with Import.io. I'd been playing with a few little data scrapes but I finally decided to put it through some real paces now that I understood better how to train it and analyze the data after-the-fact.

Ah-Ha ThinkGeek! I'll scrape their entire catalog to see what to get for people!


ThinkGeek Logo


A quick scrape (well 4 hours later) we have a total of 3,930 products in our dataset. In the following categories:


  • Computer Stuff
  • Electronics
  • Electronics & Gadgets
  • Gadgets
  • Geek Kids
  • Geek Toys
  • Home & Office
  • Interests
  • T-Shirts & Apparel
  • Tools Outdoor & Survival




I decided to do sales data two different ways, first was to do sales percentage difference. That is to say the percentage off of the full price in a category (color depth denotes number of products in a category):


Finally the big payoff! Scroll over a product to load the product image and click on a product to load the product webpage (be careful not to scroll across another product after selecting one or another product image will load on top and thwart your shopping efforts!):





Let me know what other retail sites you'd like to see analyzed and I'll see what I can do!

Lastly I figured I'd show the amount of stuff that was out of stock at ThinkGeek which I found to be exceedingly high as well (a full 46% of their total inventory!).


No comments:

Post a Comment